Friday, January 30, 2009

The life I love is making music with my friends

I went last night to a recital my voice teacher was giving in Cambridge. She sang on a few of the sets, there were some duets with another singer, piano solos, other instrumental solos - a really nice variety of styles of music and of composers.

Most singers want to sing all over the world. Isn't that part of the deal? We work hard, try to look good, network, and are rewarded by a chance to see the world, sing in houses all over the place, meet exciting people, wear beautiful dresses (and if we are lucky make scads of money).

I sang a memorial service for a friend of mine who passed away about a month ago. There were more than 50 of us singing, and a number of instrumentalists, all commemorating her with beautiful music. That experience, and the recital last night, reminded me what the goal really is: to be someone with whom other people want to make music.

We all want the career. But I also want to know that I have people in my life with whom I can collaborate. When someone knows you inside and out there can be something very mystical and intimate about musical collaboration. I remember the first time I recognized the power of true ensemble work (7th grade band, believe it or not), that at some point we stop being ourselves and turn into something greater. The magic can happen with strangers, but when it is with the people you love it makes it so much more powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment