Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Advice

The last 24 hours may make you think I am obsessed with The Atlantic, but I can't resist sharing this letter to the back page advice columnist.

I am the pastor of a small, historic Episcopal church in the Southeast. A bride-to-be wants to tie little pink bows to the pews for her wedding. Our wedding director says the church is too pretty to be ruined by little pink bows. The bride is deeply distressed. Meanwhile, the youth group wants to burn the church down and replace it with something more energy-efficient. I concede that the church, a Victorian pile with high ceilings and lots of stained glass, is costly to heat and maintain. Energy-efficient churches are often ugly, but pink bows would then cease to be an issue. Should I let the youth group burn down the church?

What's the difference between a liturgist and a terrorist...

No comments:

Post a Comment