Saturday, October 31, 2009

Mayoral Madness

I'm sure many of you have been waiting with baited breath for the announcement of Felice Mi Fa's mayoral endorsement. Like most things this fall, Election Day has snuck up on me and I haven't peeped about local politics. Those who know me well know there is something wrong with that.

One reason for my silence is that I have been a little unenthused by the slate that is up, although the dual candidacy of "Floon" certainly makes for some drama. I, like a lot of Boston residents, am mildly uncomfortable with the length of Menino's tenure in office, but am generally happy with his leadership. Maybe it's a sign of the conservativism that can come with age, but I am less distressed by his hold on City Hall this year than I was last time around. I will admit, during the last mayoral election I voted against him even though that meant voting for Hennigan (and going against my beloved unions).

This time around, I am not so sure that kicking out Menino should be priority 1. I understand the criticisms around him: he rules with an iron fist and stifles opposition. The BRA is a mess. He won't let developers do what they want. I think a lot of those criticisms take for granted that the good of Boston depends on attracting big businesses to the newest skyscraper downtown. What Menino has excelled at is building up the neighborhoods. If all politics is local, maybe it should be more important that I can find a parking space and that the empty lot up the corner isn't completely trashed. Skyscrapers don't matter much to me, even though I can see them from the top of the street.

There is nothing about Flaherty that excites me, which is why I voted for Yoon in the run-off. If we are going to do change around here, I thought, why don't we do it right? I knew he wasn't going to win but I wanted to send a message (although after what happened with Nader in 2000 I should have known better). And yes, I am one of the 12% of people who votes in mayoral run-offs.

The announcement that Flaherty and Yoon were teaming up did not impress me. Politics makes strange bedfellows, for sure. I can't foresee real teamwork should they make it together to City Hall.

So there will be no blogtastic endorsement today, and I'm not sure who I will vote for on Tuesday (other than Ayanna Pressley for City Council). Townies, please be sure to vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment