Thursday, August 21, 2008

the secret life of cleaning persons

The sun is setting on the second day of our Tanglewood residency. I sing the Mass in C tomorrow, and then the 9th Symphony on Sunday. All Beethoven, all the time.

I was thrilled to discover that they are finally implementing a good recycling program at work in September, after years of having to take my white paper and soda cans home to recycle. Once, my first year, when I was still overindulging due to the thrill of having free soda all day, I had a pile of soda cans on my desk waiting to be taken home. Because deep down I am a high schooler, I had made them into a pyramid, using the Sierra Mist and Diet Pepsi colors to make a nice design with the cans. I came in one day and all of the cans were still in the pyramid, but they were in a completely different order, which led me to believe that someone, when cleaning up, had rearranged them.

Similarly, I came back to the hotel today to find a delightfully clean room: the trash was empty, the shower was clean, the beds were made. The only thing that was different was that clock was set an hour faster than it had been set when I left in the morning. How peculiar...

No comments:

Post a Comment