Monday, September 8, 2008

How city living has me jaded, in two parts

I. Today they were setting up a film shoot across the street. Rather than trying to sneak a peek at Mel Gibson or whoever was out there, all I could think was "I hope this doesn't mess up my bus route".

II. I accidentally ran 12.5 miles on Saturday (should have been 9 - don't ask). At about mile 12 I was running around the park and an old senile woman in the busstop shouted out to me. I turned down my music and she screamed "Can you wait with me to make sure the bus picks me up?"

Those of you who don't have these encounters often are imagining your virtue right now. I know, I know, you would stop and wait. You would make sure she had bus fare. You would keep her company. Not me. I told her I had to get home and kept running.

Both of these have to do with buses.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder what good you would have been able to do for her had the bus not shown up.

    "Well, I guess it's not coming. You want a ride somewhere?"

    "Why, thank you, dearie, that's sweet. Where's your car?"

    "Twelve miles from here."

    ReplyDelete