Monday, November 24, 2008

Tempo markings

Yesterday I sang Westendorf's O Blessed Savior at three morning masses, which is a song that I have always really liked even though it constantly changes meter. Needless to say I got all emotional, but since this blog is running the risk of turning into Felice Mi Fa's Emotional Jamboree, I'll leave that to your imagination.

This is what intrigued me: in place of a tempo marking, the score read "With Great Reverence". Has there ever been a church piece that was not intended that way? That has had the marking "With Blazing Disrespect?" It irks me when composers give marks like that: "somewhat funky, not too fast", "peppy!".

I am teetering on the edge of a liturgical music rant, but I think I will restrain myself.

2 comments:

  1. I'm fairly sure there are songs intended to be sung with blazing disrespect, but they can generally only be found at lifeteen masses or certain college campuses.

    I have always said that I would write music one day simply by mimicking marks I've seen my music major boyfriend make on his theory homework. When I finally do I think the title will be "With Blazing Disrespect," and I will dedicate it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "with Blazing Disrespect..." Tempting. Very tempting.

    ReplyDelete