Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Study Break!

I'm putting the finishing touches on a paper that was due yesterday and hope to be done and out of the library by 8pm (this is an exegesis on Mark 5: 24b-34 for those of you keeping track of my scholarly pursuits). The older I get, the simpler my editorial technique becomes: my work today was to use fewer words.

I love words. I love run-on sentences and convoluted clauses. My style usually runs toward "why use one word when you can use ten". Unfortunately that often makes my writing incomprehensible, a problem that is particularly nagging in my academic writing. So today, I purge the paper.

As an aside, DORK ALERT: I can't find one of the seminal commentaries on the Gospel of Mark in English translation (it's originally German) so I'm reading it in Italian.

No comments:

Post a Comment