Friday, June 20, 2008

Days in Italy: 6 ... Instances of Falling: 2

You would think that the falls were coming once every three days, but prepare to be amazed: I fell twice this morning. On the large hill leaving my neighborhood, just before the center of town, I went off into Meg's World, twisted my foot a bit in my shoe, and fell. Since I was going down hill it was impressive; I skinned my right knee and marked up my right hand, and my wallet and my pen went flying. A few minutes later I slipped up the stairs at school, but I stayed on my feet.

Yesterday morning I went into Meg's World (I sometimes call this simply 'going away') on the walk to school. I think I do this so often in the mornings because I am dreaming of being able to call Mom like I usually do on my walk into work (I MISS MY MOM!!). Yesterday I didn't fall, but when I 'came to' I was on the corner by the school, and for a split second I didn't know where I was or what I was doing there.

This morning in Italian we talked about American politics for almost an hour and half. It was the usual pessimistic business about our culture, our politics, our religion. I wanted to bring up Ted Kennedy, but the opportunity did not present itself.

The concert last night went quite well. I wore what I am now calling my 'fruit roll-up' dress, because it looks like a tube and is watermelon colored. Just think, the last time I sang Mi Tradi I was in pleated pants. The stage in the theater is raked, and it took me about half the aria to get used to standing on an incline. I was happy with how it went, and it was really nice to sing in a space that didn't have bathtub acoustics like all the practice rooms.

Today in my Italian coaching my coach taught me how to make the Italian 'L', which is completely different from the American one. Having this conversation in Italian was hard enough, but the real challenge was trying to form the darn consonant. I really need to practice, and I had one of those moments when I thought 'singing is so hard. I don't really feel like changing how I form my Ls...maybe I'll quit singing'. The singer's little secret is that we all think about quitting at least 5 times a day.

But for now, I'm going to keep working.

One other note - I think tomorrow is the big family party. Missing this party is the only thing that made me sad about going to Italy. I'll be thinking of everybody!!!

3 comments:

  1. Actually it is Sunday - I'll e-mail pics

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. yo the c's won in case you hadn't heard

    parade was dope

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was highway amnesia, at least you weren't holding a baby. Also it should be noted that KG after the win was amazing, you should try to find videos.

    ReplyDelete