Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I love acqua frizzante

My two big expenses on this trip will most likely be bubbly water and internet access. Both of them are necessary for my continued well being, so I am willing to spare the few Euros a day.

I have had a number of notable showers in my life. The mod at BC had what many of us referred to as the "midget shower" or "midge" for short. The shower in my current Boston apartment has been the strongest evidence as to my apartment actually being a dollhouse. It is a stand-up shower that I think they put a bathfitters over, making it difficult for me to move while showering.

My Italian shower takes the cake. It is a detachable showerhead hanging over a drain in the bathroom. The window, directly next to it, is covered by a lace curtain which I am not convinced prevents the neighbors from seeing us. Attached to the wall, next to the showerhead and above the toilet, is a foldable rod which I can pull out about 4 feet, and from which hangs a shower curtain that reaches to my knees. There is no curtain that hangs directly opposite the showerhead, although when turned with my back to the showerhead I have a nice view of the bidet.

I can just hear my mother having raptures at the sight of the word bidet, gushing over my "authentic Italian experience". Although I am sure I will find a way to survive, my guess is that when I get back to the States I will be eager for an authentic American bathtub shower.

I jogged this morning, braving the hills and the drivers to get a little workout in. I found a few nice paths that aren't too steep that will be great for a 30 minute run or so in the morning. Also this morning we started Italian class.

One of the sentences on the prepositions section of the placement test translated to "For me, there is no such thing as a just war". Then today, I opened the text book and there was a big picture of John XXIII, accompanying a sentence about how great a Pope he was. If I came here hoping to get away from my church history curriculum, I am out of luck.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Meg! I think doing the blog is a great idea. Sounds like things are good so far. Can't wait to read more about your adventures. :^)

    ReplyDelete